American Band College

What are the admission requirements for Central Washington University?

Admission to the CWU for the Master of Music with specialization in Music Education:

  1. Admission Application: For admission to a Central Washington University master’s program, CWU requires a 3.0 GPA or above on your last 90 quarter credits/60 semester credits of undergraduate coursework.
  2. Statement of Objectives (Personal Statement): Write a statement, approximately 500 words, of educational and professional objectives outlining your career goals and detailing any additional information that will help the admissions committee understand your educational objectives and needs. Note that this statement can also be used as the written part of the pre-ABC Video Project.
  3. Official Transcripts: Supply all OFFICIAL transcripts of college-level as well as transcripts of graduate work from any institution where work for credit was done, including a transcript showing the date the undergraduate degree was conferred.
  4. Letters of Recommendation: Upload three (3) letters of recommendation to Central Washington University via the admission process.
  5. ABC Entrance Exams: Program 2-part entrance exam (Music Theory and 30 areas of Band-related Areas of Mastery) required on June 19.
    • Those whose Music Theory score are too low will be required to do a retake of that exam in December of the same year.
    • Those whose scores in Band-related Areas (transposition, literature, fingerings, intonation problems, percussion rudiments, embouchures, etc.) are too low, must show improvement via Ultimate Pursuit practice tests. You must study throughout the time you are on campus before your first exit exam in order to improve these scores. Probationary status will be applied as scores dictate.
  6. GRE Exam: This exam is not required and is replaced by the ABC Entrance Exams (listed above).

Admission Questions?

  1. Contact the School of Graduate Studies and Research at (509) 963-3101 or [email protected].
  2. Once the Office of Admissions approves your file it is sent to the School of Music.
NOTE: If you are receiving financial aid, you MUST make sure that all financial aid requirements are completed through CWU Financial Aid.