American Band College

Can I take a summer off?

Yes, but there is a possibility that you will see some repeat guest conductors/composers, clinicians, soloists, etc. as ABC will occasionally bring back guest clinicians on a three-year rotation.

If you need to go “On-leave” you will receive an email in your CWU email account after the add/drop Summer Qtr. CWU will send you a notice to fill out a form about your leave (very short form) and you will pay a $40 On-Leave fee to take a year off. If you do not complete this step, you will be withdrawn. This report is not run until after add/drop (registration deadline) for Summer.

Keep in mind that all CWU communication is sent to your CWU email, but you can set that up to have it forwarded to an email that you check regularly.

Maximum Time Limit to Degree Completion

No credit earned more than six years before the date of the master’s degree award may be counted as part of the degree credit requirement except if approved by formal action by the dean of the School of Graduate Studies and Research.

Master’s degree students are expected to complete all requirements for the master’s degree within six years from the date of first enrollment. Students seeking to interrupt their studies may do so with the approval of the chair or graduate coordinator of the home department, but must pay a non-refundable fee for registration as an on-leave student. If a degree program is not completed during the six-year period from the quarter for which a student was admitted, the student must reapply to the university. If readmitted, only those credits graded B or higher and completed no more than six years from the date of the student's program completion may be counted toward the degree.